Monday, May 16, 2011

The Dress Saga

Yes, the dress saga. This has been a challenge for me because, as usual, my brain and heart believe that I can do things before my body can actually execute them. I'm a dreamer, an idea giver, and an idealist. Ok, so now you know....and the story begins.








A friend of mine wanted to do a 1950's photo and needed some fun dresses. I went to Salvation Army and it was one of those light-shining moments on the rack of discount city that I found 2 dresses for $12.99 each. I grabbed them and said this can work!







Well, they need to be shorter to be 1950's so the hemming begins.




....and continues, and goes on and on.


Let me put this plug in - when I do things for other people, I'm even more dedicated to perfection than for myself. That usually makes me more frustrated and the other person doesn't even seem to notice anyway.


My good friend, Faye, said that trimming a dress is just like cutting hair.


You have to start from the underneath and get a guide then work your way out. T-r-i-c-k-y! We tied up the layers with string and used binder clips to keep them up and out of the way. The tough part? When you let the layers down you can't see the underside. So Lily and I got out the ruler and diligently marked the cut-off hem at 10 1/2 inches. Let me rephrase that - Lily got shoved under the layers (in the most loving and encourageable way) with a ruler and a marker so she could start marking the measurements about every 4 inches - all the way around. This went on and on. I didn't think about how many layers there were on this dress (actually, each dress). We got tired after about 4 layers of measuring.



Little trooper.


Side bar note, Lily and I love to watch Project Runway together. So please don't report me to the services for child labor. She actually likes helping me!










Wow, lots of work, but it's worth it. And I have to say that I love the challenge of things. I would never have asked myself to do this so I appreciate the fact that other people help make me better at sewing, through trial and error, and accomplishment.


Can't wait to see these beauties in the photo shoot!

1 comment:

  1. These are very interesting dresses.I can't wait to see the photos. The two of you must have had a great time doing this.I watch Project Runway too, so I could just imagine the laughs you had.

    ReplyDelete