Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Spring Fern Fronds

Lesson on ferns - Ferns are made up of dissected little leaves that are airy and light. This is a Rabbit's Foot Fern, which is a great conversation piece. It usually intrigues and/or disgusts most people who dare to touch it. I love the hairy roots that come crawling out to reach the sunshine. The leaves are so pretty and I can get up close and feel like I'm in a small rain forest. I even remember Sesame Street and the little bugs that lived in Ernie's window planter. Yes, I think they reside in my Rabbit's Foot Fern.


On a little more of a horticultural note, ferns spore this time of year and realease a fine, powdery and sticky spore that just looks like dust. It's on the underside of the frond and I've been told to put this in soil and it will grow another plant, but have yet to try it. I do love the little wonders in life!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment