Monday, September 26, 2011

Autumn Bunting - Part I




Ahhhh, the colors of fall! It's such a wonderful invitation to a new season. I love the new modern fabrics and prints available today. Traditional is good but something new is so fun too!




Here I've made several triangles about the size of the flags you see at car sales lots and open houses. These are much more enticing and last a long time. You might remember the patriotic bunting I did last summer and it's on my agenda to have one for every season so I can enjoy the colors and patterns for every part of the year.


Ok, I recycled a piece of cardboard and made my measurements.

It's good to mark the correct measurements on your template so you always have your directions right there. And...in theory...it might not get thrown away because there ARE measurements written on it. Another story, another time.





Lay several already pressed pieces of fabric on top of each other with a self-healing cutting board underneath. With a rotary cutter, and a steady hand, cut around your template pressing through all layers. Please pay the money to have a sharp blade on your cutter. It is so irritating to pull your fabric only to find it stuck by little fibers that weren't cut. My measurements were around 7 1/2 inches wide and 9 inches tall. It really doesn't matter as long as they are all cut the same.





Once you have all of your triangles cut, you put two pieces together and randomly alternate where you put each piece. I think I usually have about 18 pieces and that makes about 6 yards.

It doesn't matter if you have duplicate fabrics right next to each other or if you selectively put "random" together. Yes, I meant to say that...random is actually methodical.




Once you have these pieces ready, flip the fabric around to right sides are facing each other, line up your points and begin sewing at one end. No need to pin this together because it's not very big and is not going to be worn (that's when the measurements really matter). Don't sew across the top quite yet, we will sew that in another step.





Sew with a 1/4 inch seam from top right, down to the point, pivot your needle (with the needle in the fabric to keep it in place) and then sew back up to the top left.




Do this with each piece....more to follow on completing this bunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment