Friday, July 23, 2010

I Heart Maine

I'm back from Maine! Wow, what a beautiful city and friendly people. My husband was so sweet to take me around for the afternoon. We strolled (not walked quickly) around the shops without a care in the world. No watch, no time constraint....just us.


The streets were cobblestone and sidewalks were brick. I loved the colonial, American charm.

We ate on a floating restaurant that overlooked the boats bobbing in the water.
Then we walked off the seafood and went to Portland's Architectural Salvage and browsed around. Everything was so cool in there and there was no way we could afford the pretty stuff we really wanted.

Price tag on this baby? About $400 each. Yeah, we just looked around and didn't touch anything.



Off to the yarn shops! I bought this cute kit at Tess's Yarns. It was a darling little shop with everything hand dyed in Maine. This will be my first project knitting with ribbon. So far, it's going well.

It will be a heart scarf or belt and I can repeat the pattern to make it the length I want.


I also bought my first skein of Bamboo (the green skein in the background.) It is super soft like silk/cotton blend. I can't wait to try it out. I love getting things that I can make that will remind me of my vacation. I get fabric and yarn and make something cute out of it. People might comment on the item I made and then I have a little story about the history of the item. Who doesn't love a quick story?

You might remember the pattern I bought a while back. I finally found the perfect fabric for it. I went to a small fabric shop in Portland called Z Fabrics. The owner was there and she was absolutely precious. I showed her a picture of the pattern and we walked around and found this Miramekko design. The pattern print is in proportion for the dress...not too small, not too big.

I love the colors and think it will be a gorgeous dress! Pics of the process to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment