Monday, May 10, 2010

Antique Porch Glider - Part I

Gliders are actually a thing of the past and have come back around in recent years. The family bought this antique glider for mom (a couple of years ago) and it's gotten a lot of attention. From picking it up, sand blasting, storing, painting, picking out fabric, making cushions and pillows, and finally pictures! Word of the day? DEADLINE...Mother's Day!



Wow....here's the visual story of the cushions...




Here's the layout on the floor. I know it's not very glamorous, but when there's big cushions, this is the only space I have.


Measure, measure, measure. I layout the pieces to be sure the stripes go in the right direction.





After I cut out the pieces, I cut the last piece so I could insert a zipper. Who knows when this might get washed and I need to leave the option open. Zippers are wonderful things and are nothing to be afraid of. I treated it like one more strip of fabric and put a gusset on each side so I could sew the whole line up the entire length of the cushion. What is a gusset? It's a strip I sewed on each end of the zipper, exactly the same width as the zipper.


Then I stuffed the huge cushion inside the tiny 22 inch hole while my husband watched me from a distance wrestling the fabric.

And whaaalaaaa. Stuffed and zipped!

No comments:

Post a Comment