Thursday, June 17, 2010

Patriotic Process

Next step in the Patriotic Process...getting the flags assembled.

After sewing the flags together, I turned the them right side out and poked the point with a dull pencil so it would have that nice finish. I pressed the flags with an iron for sharp edges. I highly recommend that when you get your sewing machine out, you turn on the iron. It really makes a difference when you press your pieces after (or sometimes before) you sew.

I took bias tape and folded it over both pieces of the flag. What did I do wrong? I think I should have paid the money and gotten the widest tape they make because this was very tricky to work with something so small.

It turned out fine and once I got a rhythm going, it went pretty fast.

You can see here how narrow this bias tape really is. I couldn't even pin it to the fabric.

I also had all the flags ready to go so I could slip one in right after the other so it went smoothly.
....and it worked!

This is one strand of bias tape that measured 3 yards. I left about 12 inches on each side so we would have room to tie the flags up. I'm not sure yet where we are putting these so I need to be flexible.

4 comments:

  1. Very cute! I just did a tutorial on these on my blog a week or so ago LOL They ARE fun and easy! I'm just about to make one (like I just literally got out the triangle before I clicked your blog) to make tiny ones to decorate the beds of whatever birthday kid we currently have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal, that is such a good idea. After making these for this party, I'm ready to do something a little more eclectic so I have some diversity and can use it throughout the year. I can't wait to see your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the flags. Sounds like you are going to have a great 4th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So LOVELY! Can I commission one for the studio!?

    ReplyDelete