Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sewing Kit

I made this sewing kit for a friend. The pattern is super cute and it wasn't that difficult. It's one of the many great ideas in One Yard Wonders by Rebecca Yaker and Patricia Hoskins, the fabric is Heather Bailey. I did learn something that I would like to share with you. I was so excited to start this project that I couldn't even wait to make sure I had the right supplies. The pattern just gave dimensions, not actual pattern pieces, so I cut out my own. Instead of using the right tracing paper or even freezer paper for the templates, I got what I had and went for the wax paper. In my mind it seemed like a good idea.
Why was this a bad idea? Because I couldn't see the pattern pieces laid out once I was ready to cut. It was very frustrating to watch for those little transparent pieces, so just go to the store and get the good paper.
Once I got it all together, the process was very easy to follow. Don't do what I typically do...read ahead and then get overwhelmed and think I won't be able to finish this. Not true, don't torture yourself. Trust the pattern and go step by step!
The kit includes spools, needles, tape measure, seam ripper, marker and slips of paper and an antique ruler. Everything one would need for a "sewing emergency."

I have the little label sewn in that has "created by Christina Perry" on the lower left corner. I highly advise this purchase. People spend a lot of time thinking of the recipient and this is such a wonderful reminder of that generous investment. These were bought off of www.namemaker.com under clothing labels, woven design, and worth the money. Give yourself some credit on that work!

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh...i love this fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this. You are getting so good, you won't need your mom anymore, you will be teaching me.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete