Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Planted Garden


We worked really hard on the garden the last few days. I keep telling myself, "it's worth the work!" We plotted out the plan and, Ken and Papa, put up a fence to keep the critters out. The ground was tilled about 3 times so it's nice and soft and very easy to work with.


I dug the rows, 9 rows with a walkway between sets of three (so we can reach the goodies when they're ripe). I then laid the soaker hoses and black fabric to keep the roots protected. Don't worry the roots will not rot under the fabric; this is such a windy area, they will be perfect. Secure the plastic with pins so the wind doesn't blow your hard work away.



More plastic and end of day one (and end of back muscles).

Day two is the fun part, planting the transplants. I was not on my game this year so I did not grow these plants from seed. Rather, I supported our local green house and bought transplants instead. It's a little late to put in the garden but I don't think it's too late.

Once the plastic is down, cut an "X" on the top of the mound where you want the plant to be and then take your fingers and make a little spot for the plant to drop into. The ground should be so soft that you don't even need a shovel.


I always wear gloves so my hands don't get too dirty!

Once the plant is in the hole, just cover with dirt and lay the "X" flap around it. This will keep the weeds down!

We may have to finesse our new plants but I think they will do ok.

I lay the plants out on the fabric so I know that I have plenty of room before I start cuttin holes in the fabric. Read the garden tab to see proper spacing for each plant.
And don't forget to have fun in the garden. I'm trying push Ken over in the mud after I fell...he's frustratingly strong, ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment